Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thank You Phoenix Channel 3

I was deathly sick two weeks ago. I was sick with fever for 4 days straight in bed, and bronchitis. I guess the best part of being sick is that my husband was watching the news and I vaguely heard...
TV: "Phantom of the Opera is coming to town, call now"
...and I jumped across the bed to reach over the phone...
TV:"Be the third caller and call"...
I hurt and took the air out of my husband,
as I reached for the phone on his night stand...
TV: "and win two tickets for the Phantom of the Opera"
... as I dialed the number and and it rang busy. So I called again...
and it rang and rang and rang and rang and rang...
just as I was going to hang up...
Channel 3: "Your caller number three"
I thought to my self: 'Oh? What caller did I need to be to win these precious tickets?
Channel 3: "Hello?" said the lady
I could barely speak, "Yes I'm here"
Channel 3: "Your caller number three and just won a pair of tickets to the Phantom of the Opera, could I get your name?"
I was more speechless than what I already was.
I got through the call and squeaked a scream of excitement.
I called my mom and asked if she would join me, because other than my youngest girls, she would appreciate the opera, and my husband doesn't do operas. Needless to say, my four-year-old and my 15-year-old were very upset they could not come.
The tickets were for October 28th, 2009 at the ASU Gammage Auditorium.

Last night my Mama and I went. It was spooktackular!
We were on the 7th row Balcony way up there.
If you haven't read or have gone to see Phantom of the Opera,
here is a summed version.
Prologue
The Phantom of the Opera is set in the year 1911, and opens at the Paris Opera House where its contents are being auctioned off. Raoul, a 70-year-old man in a wheelchair, buys a poster and a music box. When the Opera House chandelier is displayed, he explains how it is connected to the legend of the Phantom of the Opera. Then, with a flash of light, the audience is warped back to the time when the Opera House was at its height.

performed by Kim Stengel
Act I
Next, the audience sees a rehearsal of the opera Hannibal. As Carlotta, the prima Donna, is singing, a backdrop unexpectedly falls onstage. This almost kills Carlotta, and is assumed to be the work of the "Phantom of the Opera."
As the play continues, Christine Daae is introduced. She is a friend of Meg Giry, the daughter of Madame Giry. Christine has been taking opera lessons from a mysterious new teacher. This teacher is referred to as "The Angel of Music,” and seems to be very strict, because after one of Christine's childhood friends, Raoul, invites her to dinner, she turns him down because of her teacher. This mystery teacher turns out to be the Phantom.

He leads Christine to his underground home after Raoul leaves. Here, she sees a vision of herself in a wedding gown, which causes her to faint. She awakens a while later by the Phantom playing music on his organ. She sneaks up behind him and rips his mask off. Out of shock, he takes her back to ground level.
The Phantom sends notes to the Opera managers, Raoul, Madame Girl, and Carlotta in which he demands them to allow Christine to be the lead in the new opera Il Muto. The managers refuses, and appoints Carlotta as the lead and Christine a secondary role. Since the people who received the Phantom's notes did not give in to the demands, chaos begins. The stagehand is killed and Carlotta's voice is stolen. Raoul and Christine result to the Opera House's roof, where they pronounce their love for each other, not knowing that the Phantom is eavesdropping on their conversation. The Phantom becomes very angry, and, out of pure rage, causes the chandelier to crash down on the stage.
Act 2
This act opens up at a Masquerade Ball, which takes place on the Paris Opera House's steps. The Phantom has not been heard of for half a year. Christine and Raoul are secretly engaged--Christine keeps her engagement ring on a chain around her neck. The Phantom appears out of nowhere disguised as The Red Death; he delivers the managers a score from his own opera, Don Juan Triumphant. He wants them to perform this opera, but they refuse at first. A plan is concocted in which they trap the Phantom, using Christine as bait. The managers decide to perform the opera.

The costumes were breath taking.
Great detail in the wardrobe and costumes were sewn.

Christine visits the grave of her father, where she sees the Phantom standing on the grave, trying to persuade her to join him. Raoul appears and takes her away. On the opening night of Don Juan Triumphant, guards and policemen who all want to catch the Phantom surround the theater. As the play nears its end, and the Phantom appears onstage as Piangi, the lead singer. He confronts Christine and takes her back down to his underground lair. Here, he asks her one last time to stay with him forever, because if she doesn't he will kill Raoul. Christine then kisses him, which leaves him astounded, and he lets her go with Raoul. He sits in his throne with his cloak around him as a mob approaches the lair. Meg is the first one of the mob to arrive, and she tears off his cloak. All that is left is the Phantom's mask. -THE END-
Needless to say, it was last night and my Mama and I loved it.
I plan to take my girls next time it is in town.
It was a memory to remember.

No comments: