Thursday, October 22, 2009

Old Mrs. Witch

Once a upon a time, when schools were allowed to speak of "God" and saying the pledge freely and not worried of offending someone; and of Christmas Parties, along with Easter Break, not called as today: winter or spring break; there were Halloween Parties at school. The students were allowed to dress up in their costumes. Of course, there were safety issues with those plastic masks that made you sound like Darth Vader, even if Darth Vader didn't even exist then.


I found these past costumes pictures on google images awhile back so I apologize I do not have the sites I got them from.


1920's
1930's
1940's
1950's
1960s
Below:
the original Darth Vader Sound affect masks, lol.
1960-1970 school costume parade
Peanuts scene from It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (Which by the way will be shown on Tuesday the 27th of October on ABC).

I remember learning of a little Halloween song called, "Oh Mrs. Witch", when I was in kindergarten, that in it self was a very long, long, time ago. I don't think the public schools have traditions of Halloween Parties anymore let alone learning Halloween songs. I just thought I'd share the song I remember from kindergarten some 35 years ago, it goes like this...
Oh, Mrs. Witch
Oh, Mrs. Witch
Tell me how you fly,
Tell me how you fly,
I fly on my broom stick, up in the sky.

Oh, Mrs. Witch
Oh, Mrs. Witch
Tell me what you see,
Tell me what you see,
I see a jack-o-lantern looking at me.

Oh, Mrs. Witch
Oh, Mrs. Witch
Tell me what you'll do,
Tell me what you'll do,
I'll fly on my broom stick, to scare you, BOO!



No comments: