Tuesday, March 3, 2009

There a part of me...

I have always loved the arts and cultures and have had a great respect for such. Being its the month of March and St Patricks Day has come...One of the cultures and traditions that I enjoy dearly are the Irish. I have never been there, however, I've read so many books and watched so many movies that I feel I have. When I think of Ireland and close my eyes I smell, and mind you I'm picturing the country side with a bubbling brook and the sound of waves near by.
I smell green. What the heck is Green smell like? You know, when grass is cut, the forest trees, and haven't you ever chewed on grass and clovers? It's something fresh.
I smell the smoke of fireplaces and bread baking in the air. A true weakness of mine. I prefer fresh bread (irish soda bread or Italian bread) with butter spread on it, and a warm cup of coffee or mexican chocolate; than a cheesecake or pie.

Click on Soda Bread Pic. for history of
the Soda Bread

I feel cool mist air on my face. I hear the waves clashing on the rocks. A dog barking in the distance and sheep baa-ing with the sound of the dogs barking. Is Baa-ing even a word, well I don't care. I hear the trot of horses and the high pitch beep of a car saying Wake Up! I ramble to much. Anywhoo, I have to go my self some day. I love reading history and fairy tales. I want to visit Trim Castle in County Meath. The largest and most important castle in Ireland for several centuries, its garrison of Anglo Normans watched over the ‘dangerous natives’, and took every precaution to ensure the castle was seriously unwelcoming. Uninvited guests were treated to boiling water, tar, arrows, rocks, and other early weapons of mass destruction rained down on them from overhead.
Also, Dunluce Castle in County Antrim. The spectacular castle-crowned crag, on the famous north Antrim coast, was shaped when the sea cut deep into the rock. Dunluce Castle, originally occupied by the MacQuillan family and later the MacDonnells, was besieged by the British in the 16th Century. It’s reputed to be the inspiration for Cair Paravel, the famous castle in CS Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia.
I'm not sure about visiting Leap Castle, lies the village of Clareen what is reputed to be the most haunted castle in Ireland. It has guarded the pass from Slieve Bloom into Munster since the 14th century, and its spectre is a particularly smelly one – it was even witnessed by poet WB Yeats on a stay in the castle. I think I will take photos from a distance.

Carrickfergus Castle, Birr Castle, and Enniskillen Castle are other castles I would like to visit. Dromoland Castle, Castle Leslie and Ashford Castle to name just a few. In these distinguished and dramatic places to stay, you can indulge your decadent side with state-of-the-art facilities, four-poster beds, book-lined libraries and dungeon bars serving up a host of pints instead of a host of horrors! However, I'll pass. It's bad enough that I sometimes can feel spirits, let alone trying to look for them, NOT! Oops, should I have said that.

The Ring of Gullion in County Armagh of Northern Ireland, is a unique geological landform. A ring dyke not found anywhere else in Ireland, the heather clad Slieve Gullion is surrounded by a circle of low hills 40 km in diameter. Slieve Gullion's reputation as Ireland's mountain of mystery arises from its rich associations with Irish legends and myths. Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig! Happy St. Patrick's Day on the 17th of March to all!
Ciao 4 now,
Arnnette
Later sometime, I'll talk about other places I'd like to visit.

No comments: